SupraStore’s Project Lexus SC300 2JZ-GTE

Hello fans, Lonnie here. You know me best as the customer service guru who attends to nearly every order, the voice of the automated SupraStore phone lines, and a Supra fanatic that has had his Supra for over 10 years now.

Recently, I purchased a 1993 Lexus SC300 with a 2JZ-GTE swap done to it already.  The body, for the most part, is in great shape. A/C blows cold, interior is great, car runs just fine, and is basically a much less expensive MkIV Supra in a different, but also very beautifully sculpted body. As with nearly all of us out there, there was no way I could leave it be and not modify it. 

I knew going in that it was going to become another project, but my plans for this were to simply have a clean and comfortable touring car for a daily driver. It also works as a great platform for us to demonstrate our products, and to show that we are willing to prove the quality of the parts we offer by spending our own money on the very parts that we offer everyone worldwide. Obviously, we can’t put every single part we offer on it, so it will be getting  some upgrades in favor of others.

The first thing I did was swap out the wheels. I’m not a huge fan of how the old ones looked on the car (which are VIP Modular VR05s), regardless of them being nearly brand new. As such, they are for sale, and the lips are still polished to a mirror sheen! If you’re interested in them, please feel free to contact me.

I’ve had a set of 18×9.5 Enkei RP-F1s awaiting installation for some time now, as well as other parts I’ve gathered for a 2JZ project over the years, even before acquiring this car.

The next step was to upgrade the turbo. After some research, I found that it appears to be a T76 turbo from eBay (as measured with a digital caliper). It’s not as responsive as I would like, and I feel that the combination of such a large compressor wheel with a turbine housing of not quite 0.70 A/R makes for a rather confused mismatch. I also don’t know this particular turbo’s history, specifications, or much else about it, just that it’s a T4 footprint and has a 3″ V-band outlet, as well as a 4″ compressor intake and 2.5″ outlet.

   

 

So off it comes (and if anyone would like an inexpensive turbo, let me know), and on goes a ceramic coated manifold. 

 

Also going on is a very special custom turbo that the guys at Boost Lab made for me. This particular one was a custom order turbo, not listed on a site. It started off as an off-the-shelf 177272 Borg Warner, which is their S300SX3 83-75, or S360 for short. I opted for all of the options on it, as the SX-E line of turbos from Borg Warner (which slot above the SX AirWerks series, but below the EFR series) still have not been released.

   

   

The turbine housing has a ceramic thermal barrier coating. Both the compressor housing and the CHRA cartridge have been coated with a thermal dispersant. Heat management is often overlooked, and definitely should not be ignored, especially in temperate climates, and with something like a turbo, which easily hits a few thousand degrees.

I also opted for the turbine reflange. As many of you know, the Borg Warner S200 and S300 series turbos come with a 4.21″ Marmon flange, instead of a traditional V-band. In the Supra world, the vast majority of single turbo setups use a 3″ V-Band, and that is currently the only size 3″ downpipe we offer. In the interest of interchangeability and simplicity, we offer the reflange option for these turbos under 66mm.

Perhaps most importantly, I opted for a billet compressor upgrade. This wheel should have no problem helping me put down 500+ rwhp, while also spooling quicker than a traditional 60mm, even with a 0.91 A/R twin scroll turbine housing. Officially rated at ~700 HP at the crank, I’m expecting great results for a street car. It is currently the only one of its kind, and the second ever turbo to receive the “BL360R” designation.

I also opted for a TiAL MV-R wastegate. This is the wastegate size that most Supra owners use and need, and one of the best ever made. When you see crazy high HP builds, you tend to only see TiAL products for BOVs and wastegates, and with good reason!

   

I put in a 10 psi spring. The car still needs a proper tune, and remember that you can’t boost any lower than the wastegate spring with a boost controller, but you can raise the boost from there.

 

We recommend putting a low spring in your wastegate, in case you get a bad batch of gas, rough tune, or need to turn it down at all. As convenient as a V-band flange is with a wastegate, it’s still a huge pain to switch out wastegate springs any more than you need to.

As of time of writing, the car is nearly back together and complete. The compressor outlet is getting the typical 90* elbow that 2JZ’s need for the intercooler piping, and then it will be reassembled. I have already installed the shortened exhaust studs and nuts.

I also opted for one of each type of titanium nut that our friends at Dress Up Bolts offer. I will be testing them to make sure they maintain tightness and color through constant heat cycling on the manifold and turbo before we offer a specific hardware kit for them to the public.

 

 

I’ve also done a few other minor things on the car. I swapped out the 4 spoke steering wheel for an IS300 wheel. I just prefer the looks of the IS wheel. I also replaced the boost gauge with a VDO boost/vacuum gauge I had laying around that matches a bit better.

Stay tuned for more updates as they happen, as there’s still plenty more planned for this gorgeous car. As always, happy boosting!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>